Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Murder, She Wrote: The Queen's Jewels

Cover of Murder, She Wrote: The Queen's Jewels by Donald Bain
I was looking for something light to read on my Kindle while I wait for Harry Potter and Lincoln Child books to be available on my library’s Overdrive site.Murder, She Wrote seemed like a good choice, and the library had only one book available for Kindle. I’ve never read a Murder, She Wrote book, but I did like the series, so I thought I would give it a try. The book was Murder, She Wrote: the Queen’s Jewels, which is rather misleading. The story isn’t about the Queen’s jewels, but about diamond thefts that happen in London. One is a huge blue diamond called the Heart of India. The owner of the diamond was murdered during the robbery. Jessica Fletcher went to London and was planning to return to the US by crossing the Atlantic on the Queen Mary 2. The authorities thought that the Heart of Indian and the diamond from various jewelry thefts in London are onboard the ship. Joining Jessica onboard are Michael Haggerty (retired MI6 spy from the TV show) and Dennis Stanton (retired thief, working insurance fraud investigator from the TV show). Both used aliases to hide their identity. Of course, with the help of Jessica Fletcher, the theft and murder were solved.

The book was a quick read. it was very much like the show, although I found the mystery to be a bit of a disappointment. The murderer/thief was obvious from the beginning. In fact, I was disappointed with the solution of the mystery because it just seemed anticlimactic. I did have some tears at the end because of the death of one of the characters. I’m going to give some of the other books a try because it was like watching the TV series, but don’t expect anything more than a light, uncomplicated mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment